Monday, November 25, 2013

Missing Sid

I love Svenna. I really do. She's been just what I need over the last few months, and I know I'll continue to enjoy her. All that being said, there are times when I really miss Sid. He was such a nice horse to ride. I get regular updates from his new mommy, which is sweet.....but tough. They are working towards things that Svenna will never get to do. Which brings me to one of my most recent realizations: I need to stop comparing the two horses! They are COMPLETELY different, and they are supposed to be. That's why I picked her. Sigh.

Gift wrapped!
Anyway, some pics of Svenna in her new (admittedly ugly and inadvertently Christmas themed) blankie. She's so damn cute. I've been trail riding like a crazy person and she's been amazing. We've seen strollers, kids, cars, other horses, emus (yes really!!) flocks of geese, and cows and nothing bothers her. She loves to trot out in company and is really enjoying the chilly (read: SO COLD) weather.

 So I've written before about how crazy smart she is, but I think she is even cuter when she's being kinda dopey. See that pic which her pulling up the edge of the mat? Yea...she got her face down far enough, and the mat up high enough so that when she let it go with her foot she'd smack herself in the face with the mat. Repeatedly. I was dying laughing. She was almost not even surprised...no struggling or freaking out in the cross ties. Just bored and being over dramatic about it!

Her progress under saddle has been super. Picking up the canter much better, being more forward, all the usual baby steps. The important news is that we are having a JUMPING lesson on Friday or Saturday. I'm totally excited...we've been doing lots of poles and a few teeny tiny crossrails here and there, but I want to see what she does with a jump she can't just trot over.

So hopefully I have a good update later in the week. I'm on break for Thanksgiving so able to do a bit more riding/writing. And studying. Always more studying. Blah. I've been using my new ochem skills to research metabolic supplements for my fatty mare, so at least I'm using it for something, right??

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll miss Sid for a long time, but it'll get easier. Svenna is so cute in her blanket!

    ReplyDelete